Custom Search

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Poinsettia Project #1



I am doing an experiment on water sensitive plants like that of the poinsettia plant. Most times at retail stores or garden centers the plants are stressed from overwatering. People tend to have a hard time keeping poinsettias alive from then on; so I thought this experiment would help everyone out that’s having this problem. I have a moisture gauge that display’s the moisture level in the soil and it’s numbered from 1 to 10, 1 being very dry and 10 being extremely wet. The moisture levels of the two pots are 4, which is ideal for poinsettias, because they tend to hate wet feet.





In my experiment I will eyeball the first poinsettia to judge its watering needs, the second one I will use the moisture meter to judge its watering needs. Overwatering is the most common mistake most people make, it stresses the plant therefore the plants will shed their leaves. In my hypothesis, I believe the poinsettia I eyeball to judge it’s watering needs will end up being the one that I will accidently over water.




Both poinsettias are getting partial sunlight; the air temperature is around 70 degrees Fahrenheit. I will post the progress weekly of each plant, and hopefully this will help the over watering issue!

0 comments: